We have been recently working with a blended finance organization managing marine protected areas, and currently scaling-up its activity on a replicable business model.
Here are a few details:
– Rationale: Some MPAs can become financially sustainable but are lacking up-front capital and basic social entrepreneur skills. Impact investors and donors have a clear need for a pipeline of blended finance investments for marine conservation, with tangible business models
– Revenue streams: User fees, Visitor Centre, underwater attractions, fisheries, blue carbon, biodiversity offsets
– Team: Led by a French entrepreneur with finance background, team of 13 MPA professionals
– POC: 2 successful MPAs benefitting 16k households and 8,000 km2 of coral reef protected
– Long-term: Target is 10 MPA effectively managed and financially sustainable by 2030
– Ask: They seek to accelerate 5 other MPA projects by 2022 via US$8M series A financing – (anchor investor committed for 50%) + US$4M grant financing (40% secured); so they are looking for US$4M debt – US$2.4M grant